Tuning questions and some more besides ...

A note of thanks to harp-l participants for some very interesting chat
around here recently.  I, too, am a harp player -- mired somewhere in the
low intermediate range, I would guess -- and highly interested in all the
harp talk I can find.  Thanks to several people who encouraged me to try
this.

Encouraged by some of you I got a Lee Oskar tool kit and have successfully
fixed several harps which I had given up on.  Thanks.  It feels great to
get some control over what's inside.  But a few questions have come up.
Maybe someone out there wouldn't mind sending an answer or two:

First question:  I tuned up a very flat 4 draw on my A Lee Oskar.  Came
up fine and worked for about ten minutes of practice and then dropped
WAY down to about a semi-tone above 4 blow.  Did I do something wrong?

Second question:  I have heard people on harp-l mention reed
replacement.  Does anyone have advice on this?

Third question:  I am studying Steve Baker's book.  The advice he give on
tuning systems now seems to me to be very hard to follow.  He evidently is
able to tune to within accuracies of 1-2 Hz and sometimes even .5 hz.
Using the Korg AT-12, which is very similar to the tuner illustrated in
the book, I find that it is not very easy to get that close.  For one
thing, the natural variation in the pitch of the harp seems to be close to
1 hz. For another, the meter is pretty hard to read to that degree of
accuracy.  It has a very small scale.  Does anyone else find these
suggested tunings unrealistic?

Final question:  Does anyone know of a good CANADIAN mail-order source
for Lee Oskar reed plates.  No place in Vancouver seems to carry a good
supply.  And what should I expect to pay for them?  The special order
price here seems to be $19 Canadian and, since a new LO goes for $29
Canadian, that seems high to me.  I know of several US suppliers, but
it's so much less hassle to stay above the border.

Thanks very much,

Robert

rneville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx