Re: Mic question.

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Hugh Messenger wrote:

> I know I've said this again and again, but I'll say it again (and again).
> If you have been exclusively using a bullet for some time, you might want to
> go try a Shure SM57.  I think you will be suprised at how like a bullet you
> can get it to sound, and the damn things are indestructable.  I use a 57 as
> my main mike, but carry a bullet (when I have a working one) as a backup and
> for any songs that really need the tiny edge that a bullet gives on the
> chicago stuff.

 I think this depends largely on your other equipment choices and
personal preferences. For example, a '57 sounds pretty good through my
old Gibson Invader (which is now my main choice in stage amps). However,
it sounds horrid - far too clean - in my Bassman reissue. Its directional
pickup pattern really cuts distortion - and I *want* that distortion.
 I also find '57s very difficult to hold, while JT-30s are a piece of
cake to cup. My preference every day, and twice on Sundays, is a JT-30.
You might like something else. That's why there are different mics.