MISC SUBJECT / RESPONSES

To Jack & all -

Re: Bernie Bray - Yes, I remember Bernie's Little Lady with the valves, but
do you also remember the Little Lady chromatic that he made?  Astounding!
 Just saw a picture in an old issue of Harmonica Happenings showing Bernie
playing that one, together with Dick Gardner playing a miniature bass harp
(made by Charlie Horvath of Winnipeg, Canada), and Marv Monroe (Columbus)
playing his miniature chord that he made by retuning a number of Little
Lady's and attaching them together into one long instrument, double row like
the full-size 267 chord (must have been a nightmare, Marv).

The Harmonetta that you mentioned was actually made also by Charlie Horvath
and presented to Bernie, who dubbed it the "Charlie-monica".  Charlie also
had one that he used on stage as well.  Looking like a double Harmonetta, one
above the other on a plane, so that the right hand played the "stock"
harmonetta, while the left hand played the lower.  Only one mouthpiece, of
course, which played the stock unit.  The lower unit, was NOT a reed
instrument, but while the key structure looked like and was arranged in the
same pattern, it was actually an electronic bass instrument - thus the need
for two separate units.

The bass 64 used by Pete Pedersen was indeed made by sectioning the reed
plate as you mentioned.  Bernie made several of these before he was totally
satisfied with its tonal quality - and that is the one that Pete used.

Ron Kalina told me he got a call from Connie Hassler, telling him about the
"no-name" incident in the newspaper - he got a real kick out of that.  I will
be seeing him tonight, and I will take him a hard copy of your post on the
issue.  He says to tell everyone "Hello" for him, and wishes he could attend
the Buckeye Festival in April.  (Wish I could be there as well - they are
always loads of fun, and I hope that all Harp-L-ers who live within a
reasonable distance will be there.)

To George -

Re: the Cats in the History of Rock & Roll - the clip is very short (no more
than 5 seconds) so it is hard to tell if it is from the Ed Sullivan Show in
1950.  Since you have a copy of it, I must assume that it is the same.  Don
was in the middle, Al on the left, and Jerry on the right.

'Til next time - Danny Wilson (BassHarp)