Re: ALAN WILSON NON OVERBLOW

Winslow,

	Yes, while I readily concede that Alan Wilson does not use a
6-hole overblow on the released version of "On the Road Again".  However,
listen verrry carefully to the heretofore unreleased version on the 2CD
Canned Heat retrospective "Uncanned".  Track 1 is a version of "On the
Road Again" recorded in April of 1976.  Alan seems to be doing a 6-hole
overblow in several places ( at :28, 2:13, 2:20, 3:16 and 3:23). At 3:16
you can hear him inhale just before he blows into the 6th hole on his key
of A harp.  The E note jumps up to the G (overblown) which is slightly
flat.  Alan proceeds
to raise slightly by bending up.  By relaxing the pitch and then bending
up he produces the "sax-like" quality I referred to in my original post.
	As I said, I can duplicate this on my Marine Band. And while,
yes, you can go from a 6-blow E note to a drawn G (with the reed raised a
semitone) it will not sound the same as an overblown note making that
same jump (you have to go from exhale to inhale).
	Anyway, give it a listen; it's too bad this track wasn't back
then, it would have added even more to the Alan Wilson legend.

Dan