Re: dB SPL testing

I must admit that up until now I've been a willing participant in this
somewhat rididculous discussion on the effects of water and the relative
volume of harmonicas the testing has led me to discover an interesting
effect that is totally unrelated to the scuba gear for harmonicas
thread.  While trying one last time to replicate the results of the plus
10 dB crowd I had the following result.  Using a regulated air supply I
found that I was unable to get lower notes of a Suzuki D harmonica to
sound at all.  The windsavers would resonate (in fact one broke off as
the result of my abuse) but, the reeds would not.  I did have success
with the higher blow notes on this same harmonica.  What was the
difference?  My initial thought was that the resonant frequency of the
air supply I was using was to high to sound the reed.  I also had the
thought that perhaps it was the interaction of the windsaver that caused
the problem.  The upper reeds on the Suzuki's are not valved.  I can
reproduce the no sound effect by blowing myself.  The funny thing about
that is that it seems to be more of a trying to force a note to overblow
that cannot.  That would tend to support the resonance theory.  I truly
don't have an answer to this question but I am intrigued and welcome any
informed input on the subject.

Oh yes and as for the results of the soaking.  No discernible difference
in volume between a wet Suzuki and a dry one.  This using a regulated air
supply on the number 7 and 8 blow reeds of a key of D valved Pro Master.
I will say this, tiny differences in proximity affect the dB readings much
more than the relative humidity of the interior of the harmonica. If
there is a difference it's less than 1 dB and not discernable with my
test equipment or the human ear.  The disclaimer being of course that I
didn't go valve any of my Lee Oskars to conduct this test nor did I run
out and buy a 4 track to measure the levels. Different methods, different
results.  Enough already.  Sorry for the bandwidth.  FJM