Re: Cleaning Reeds

The corrosive acids that may attack our harp reeds probably come more
from the particular foods we eat, since the saliva we secrete is actually
slightly alkaline, containing the enzyme amylase which breaks down starch
(carbohydrate).  Other substances in saliva are sodium, potassium, calcium,
proteins and other goodies.  The acids of digestion come into play in the
stomach (hydrochloric acid), so don't swallow your axe!

Examples of the corrosive acids that affect things like brass (Bill Grogan's
recent post) are sulfuric, nitric, hydrochloric and phosphoric acids.
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, but may have other elements added
to improve certain properties; i.e., aluminum for corrosion resistance,
lead to make it more easily machined, and brass for boat propellers has
some tin added to resist seawater corrosion.  As for the bronze statues,
bronze is a copper and tin alloy, with possibly zinc (for hardness)
and/or lead added.  Perhaps, underwater, the specific corrosive acids
that harm brass (say, sulfuric acid from acid rain) are inhibited?  I'm
just speculating, since I'm no scientist (like to read too much, I guess.)

Say, Steve J., do ya think blood can corrode harmonica reeds?!?  Hmmmm...

Till next,
....Bobbie                 *Love to hear a reed that bends with the wind*