OVERBLOWING

On 23 Mar 1995, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

> By the way, Howard discovered overblows for himself, but was not
> the first. Overblowing was first recorded in 1929, and was
> recorded again around 1970 by both Toots Thielemans and by Will
> Scarlett - Will taught me the technique in 1974 in a room full of
> people who seemed amazed that I'd never heard of it. But then
> you'd know this if you read HIP No. 4.

Just thought I'd point out that Alan Wilson does a 6-hole overblow in his
solo from "On the Road Again", which reached #16 on the U.S. Top 40 on
August 10, 1968.  On an alternate take of the song Alan really wails on
the 6-hole overblow, bending the note up and making it sound like a sax.

Any comments about his playing?  I really like his playing, though some
think he was too fussy.

Dan