Cleaning Reeds

In reference to the build-up of dirt or oxidation on the reeds, wouldn't
the problem that develops be possible corrosion and resulting loss of the
integrity of the metal, thereby increasing chance of metal fatigue and
pitch loss?  OTOH, as I found out, too much finagling can cause permanent
damage--I've hastened a few reeds to flatting out.

While on the subject of crud and gunk, (Bleaaah! :-Q) this is one condition
that seems to be "aggravated" by soaking a harp, which I don't do anymore.
Besides, living in Florida, you can understand what might be "attracted" to
harps so afflicted.  (How do I put this?)  I wonder how many have had my
experience of playing along when suddenly you draw hard and strong only to
suck an unsuspecting German Cockroach down your throat! YYUUUUUCCCKK!!
THAT'S when I got a bug-tight harp case and started cleaning them good!
                    ^^^^^^^^^                                     ^^^^
A partially-straightened paper clip makes a good "gunk pick", and Windex or
straight isopropyl alcohol are good cleaners.  A light buffing with some
silver/jewelry cleaner (like Goddard's liquid or Wright's Silver Cream)
can clean and retard oxidation while protecting the metal.  Nice for the
covers, too.  Some like Goddard's come with a handy mini-brush--or use a
tiny make-up brush--like for eyelashes--sorry, fellas };>.  Naturally, be
careful of toxics in your choice of cleaners--don't need to have ya'll
passing out mid-gig!

Thanks to John Thaden for reed support ideas, orangesticks, etc.

Oh, and thanks to Steve Jennings for the "laugh-out-loud" I got from your
"harps covered in blood" comment, and your reference to how soaking makes
the wood swell past the edge of the plates, prompting your suggestion to
"try playing a circular saw blade if you want to know what this feels like."
Very appropriate!  Have you also noticed that the little varnish used on
the wood flakes off more easily into your mouth?  Again...Bleaaah! :-Q

Till next,
....Bobbie              <Let's hear it for reeds that bend with the wind>