Re: Windsavers

> I'm very interested in the windsavers thread.  Never really considered them
> before.  I want to try a do it yourself job.  My question is if you only put
> windsavers on some reeds on a diatonic, won't this make those reeds sound
> louder than the ones you don't put them on?  If so would it be better to
> put them on all reeds?

Very logical question.  I personally have not noticed that, but that
doesn't mean it's not there.

However, it takes time to master valved playing.  It took me three months
of daily practice to get it reasonably usable.  It definitely changes the
"action" of the harp.  However, what you get in return is great sounding
"bend" notes for every reed, blow and draw, in every hole.

The one exception is draw bend 10, which is hard to do.  However, I use
it so infrequently, I've not bothered with "fixing" it, i.e. reed offset,
etc.

This applies to the C major diatonic, which is virtually the only harp I
use.  I have a full set of valved diatonics, but I'm quite attuned to the
resonance and action of the C harp, and am more comfortable playing
different positions on the C than changing and using the more traditional
positions.  Of course, sometimes you need a particular effect available
only in second position, etc., but for me, that's rare.  I haven't used
my A harp in a couple months, even though I'm playing 4 gigs per week,
not counting sessions, sitting in, etc.

 -- mike