Re: dirt build-up on the reeds....

>Does the buildup of an oxide layer/dirt on the reeds dramatically affect the
>tuning of a harp?  If so how should they be cleaned - and how should the reed
>be supported...
Hi Paul,
Yes to both, though "dramatically" is relative.  I forget how many cents flat
it would pull the pitch as judged by my Strobotuner, but it was enough to make
me always clean (and gap) my reeds before tuning.  I don't remove my reedplates
however when I tune, so corrosion in the hole I just live with.
	Cleaning,  I start with cover plates off by spraying Windex or the like
on both reed plates (leaves no residue--distilled water, etc in it), and wiping
overall with a cloth.  I clean in the holes with doubled-over, thick pipe
cleaner, wetted with same.  For individual reeds, I knock crud off and remove
corrosion a blade edge, held flat to the reed.  Underneath the draw reeds, I
clean by pulling a fine emery cloth while pressing down mildly.  Then I gap,
because gap often affects pitch.
	Support of reeds--Draw reeds I put a thinner-than-credit card piece
of plastic, or even just paper underneath them.   Blow reeds, I insert a
whittled orangewood stick (the kind that are used for cuticles, sold in
pharmacy).  Square up the cross-section to about half-way up, Form the end
into a spatula (you kindof have to play around, then never throw away the
winners).  A good orangewood chock will stay in place on its own and provide
a table under the reed against which you can push as hard as you want for
tuning or cleaning.  I don't push my blow reeds up through the reed plate to
tune--no need--and it's too hard on them.
John Thaden