Re: Harps and Commercials

My feeling is that the popularity of harps in ads indicates a growing
respect for the special quality harmonica music has.  Nothing sounds
quite like a harp.  It's distinctively different from other instruments.

Being a non-pro, I feel for those who know their music is by definition
commercial whenever they get paid for it, but crave respect for their
talents as true artistry.  The arts have always had an unholy alliance
with funding; hence, resentment toward each other by artists and those
who hire them, as well as battles over things like funding for the NEA.
Like most everything else, music is for sale and music is used to sell
other stuff.  But is that all so bad?  Aren't there a lot of other things
you're glad not to be selling?  I'd rather be playing my favorite music
and instrument as back-up for some 4x4 utility vehicle commercial than
standing on a hot slab of concrete sucking-up in order to sell one.

If I must endure commercials day after day, it's nice if sometimes they
have something to offer I can enjoy--like harp music in the background.
Would any of you turn down a offer to supply commercial music?  Would it
hurt or help your rep?

Might be distasteful, but as a Dave Bromberg song went, "You gotta suffer
to sing the blues."

Till next,                                          /be as a reed......\
....Bobbie                                          \bend with the wind/