Re: Valved harps

> I am very interested in your recent comments, and detailed instructions, on
> valved harps.  I would like to try valving one of my Lee Oscars.  When
> you say that one can get windsavers from Hohner, where exactly do you
> mean?

Hohner
101 Sycamore Dr
Lakeridge Industrial Park
Ashland VA USA 23005
(804) 550-2700

I phoned them at this number and requested valves for about a dozen or so
harps.  They sent me enough for 2, plus a few extras.

I phoned again and asked if I could just buy a gross of them rather than
making a zillion phone calls.  They gave me a price of US$12 per gross
(which is no bargain when you see what they're made of and what they are),
so I ordered 2 gross.  I'm still working on the first.  I've valved my
entire dozen in my Hohner case, and still have plenty left, so I'd guess
they don't bother counting them too closely :-)

> I would like to find a Canadian source, because it is less hassle
> than dealing across the border.  I have the address of a place called
> Wilson Music Services in New Market, Ontario, which seems to be the
> authorized Hohner service centre for Canada.  Does anyone know if they will
> supply windsavers?

Ask them - the worst they'll say is "no" :-) But I can't imagine Hohner in
Virginia USA refusing to send you a few windsavers.

> I found your instructions interesting, but since I have never actually
> seen a windsaver, I still have a little difficulty visualizing how they
> fit onto the harp.

Windsavers are little strips of thin plastic, similar to the plastic used
in wallet card indexes, etc., but thinner.  It's cut into small, thin
strips, a little larger than the harmonica reeds.  When you blow into, for
example, the #1 hole, it forces the windsaver against the reed plate,
sealing off the #1 draw reed and minimizing any air leakage through it.

We could put windsavers on all reeds, but we're only interested in
isolating the "non-bendable" reeds.  In the #1 thru #6 holes, we can bend
the draw reeds, so we put windsavers on the draw reeds.  This allows you
to bend the blow reeds.

The same applies to the blow 7-10 reeds, etc.

> Would you mind answering a few more questions when I
> actually get some windsavers and am trying to get started?

Gladly.

 -- mike