Re: 11th position

Excellent article, Winslow!  Just a couple of comments.

First, for 11th position, you can easily use it for a mode with a raised
4th (E note on a C harp), so the "missing" Eb can in certain cases not be
as much a "problem".

> That B natural in Hole 7 looks kind of nasty, but try using it as a lower
> neighboring tone leading into C.
>
> ======Eb Chord:
>
> This is much tougher on a C harp. mainly because the blow plane is full of
> E naturals, and you have to overblow for an Eb in Holes 1 (one of the hard
> ones) and 4. In hole 8, though, it's a relatively easy blow bend.

Both of the problem notes above are easily gotten on a valved harp using
bends.

                    -o-

A note about playing valved harps - use less wind than you do on a stock
harp.  I'm so used to valves, I often forget that they're also wind
savers.  But a couple days ago, I got a new B natural Oskar and was
tooting on it "straight" before valving it.  I was amazed at how much wind
it required compared to my valved harps!  Holy huff and puff, Batman :-)

(And of course, once I valved it, I needed about half the wind it
required "stock")

 -- mike