first position

G. JACKSON wrote:
> It has been said, rather unfairly, that playing in first position sounds
> unbearably *jolly* and *cheerfull*

J. Patrick Hester replied:
>The cure for that is a valved harp. I've noticed I tend to jam lots of
>first position since I got the Suzuki....

Overblows are a second cure.  Hole 1 & 4 give minor thirds
                                   5     gives the flatted fifth
                                   6       "   the dominant seventh
I guess if I tried REALLY hard, I might be able to make these sound jolly,
but bluesy they definitely are.  Plus what about all those juicy bends both
low and high on the harp?  Lets hear it for straight harp!
                --John