fwd: RE: Harp

From:	MX%"MCEVILLY.THOMAS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 10-MAR-1995 13:33:53.38
To:	MX%"owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj:	RE: Harp

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 12:50:00 CST
From: "Thomas E. Mc Evilly 312.444.2275" <MCEVILLY.THOMAS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Harp
To: "owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
X400-Mts-Identifier: [;35823101305991/3047736@TNTVAX]
A1-Type: MAIL
Hop-Count: 0

    Chris...

    I'm no harp virtuoso, and I'm sure everyone on this list could give you
    some good tips, but I'll take a crack at your very good questions...

    1. Second Position:  This generally refers to playing blues by drawing
       more notes than you blow.  And by now you should know that bending
       a draw note (especially on the low end) is a heck-of-a-lot easier
       than bending a blow note.  This naturally lends
       itself then to that sweet bluesy sound.

       By now you should probably know that your standard 12-bar blues
       usually uses three basic chords.  If your blues in in G, then
       the chords go:  G, C, D7.   Now, if your a harp man then you need
       to blow the right note when these chords are played by the guitar
       man to sound cool.   Dig?  So, check out your diatonic diagram and
       find the G, C, and D notes.  You'll see that you get G on draw 2,
       C on blow 4, and D on draw 4.   And, you can bend that 2 and 4 hole
       till the cows come home and sound good doing it.  Dig.  That's
       the basics of second position.   (So, because the way the notes
       are set up on the harp, you need to play a harp tuned to the
       "second" of the three chord progression.  Blues in G, harp in C.
       Blues in E, harp in A.  (E, A, B7)... dig..??   You may want to
       start playing the guitar too; know something about your basic
       accompaniment is very helpful.

    2. Amp/Mike Suggestions:  Playing with an amp/mike is essential if you
       want to start sitting in with folks and playing amplified harp.  It
       does take a little time to get used to bracing the harp on the face
       of the mike (especially if it's a ball mike).  I would recommend the
       Shure Green Bullet mike.   Especially made for harps; sounds pretty
       good; I usually don't have too many problems with feedback, and it
       can take alot of abuse.  (It also doesn't have a "ridge" on the
       middle of the harp face, which can throw you off.)

       As far as amps.  If you want something all purpose to play at home
       with that will cut above your stereo, you might want to pick up a
       Pignose.  Decent sound, small, durable, can be portable (w/
       (batteries) and easy to use, relatively inexpensive ($70).  It won't
       cut it at a gig though.  If you need to get loud, you probably need
       at least 25-40 watts.  I use a Crate 30R, which works good.  It's
       got reverb (like playing in a big gymnasium) and some mild "gain" or
       distortion which comes in handy when you want to get in the gutter.
    I have seen some cats play through bass amps, which gives you all
       the low-end you'll ever need or want.  Stay basic; at most gigs
       you'll probably mike the amp anyway, so it doesn't need to be
       that loud.

    3. Chromatic:  I know some cats like to play Chromatic, especially
       if you're really trying to be a student of the instrument; however,
       I've seen alot of harp men play big gigs and very, very rarely have
       I ever seen them play a chromatic.  Now, I'm talking bluesmen
       primarily, not jazz guys.  Chromatics; they sure do look cool don't
       they!  I haven't bought one yet, just because I know that I probably
       wouldn't play it alot; yeck I'm still trying to get my diatonic
       stuff straightened out.

    T.E. McEvil
    Chicago