Re: VOTE: repliRe: Reply to sender or list

On Mon, 6 Mar 1995, Mike Curtis wrote:

> If we see
> something, it's easy enough to send a simple "private" reply
> explaining politely the "proper" way to do it, and offering more help
> should the person desire.  By making it clear that we have their best
> interest at heart, it helps motivate them to conform to reasonable
> codes and traditions.

What an idea, common curtesy.  Can it work on Harp-l?  I can't tell you
how nasty I was to the guy with the EMBOT problem, until I realized he
was a decent fellow who didn't realize his machine was going nuts.  I'm
amazed at how hostile some of our posts sound--and then I go read mine.
It's really easy to fire off a message complaining that someone's
thoughtful post is just so much noise.  I like Mike's admonition to begin
with a thoughtful, helpful response.

> I believe most people are basically decent and reasonable.

Okay, I part company with Mike on this one, but we should still be nice.

>  -- mike

	Steve