Re: VOTE: repliRe: Reply to sender or list

>     <snip>        ..... But, yes, we have to use our Reply
> buttons carefully. How to educate folks? I don't know. Maybe Chris could
> post a reminder every day or so (automated). Just an idea...
> =[||||||]=
> Rich Rittenhouse

Why give Chris more responsibility?  Also, why use yet more bandwidth
with redundant information most don't need?  If we want a nice, well
organized newsgroup, the key is "group" responsibility.  If we see
something, it's easy enough to send a simple "private" reply
explaining politely the "proper" way to do it, and offering more help
should the person desire.  By making it clear that we have their best
interest at heart, it helps motivate them to conform to reasonable
codes and traditions.

The following is my personal opinion, but based upon much experience
in similar venues and situations.

I believe most people are basically decent and reasonable.  By acting
accordingly; by giving them the benefit of the doubt; by making them
prove us conclusively wrong (rather than automatically assuming bad
intent), we make friends and help them.  And this is what I'd like to
believe the Harp-L group is all about.

Yes, I know it's about harmonica - but shouldn't we broaden this
definition to "FRIENDS discussing harmonica-related topics"?

FRIENDS discussing harmonicas, not adversaries, gunslingers,
advertisers, and folks with ego problems out to prove something.

Of course, this is not to say we can never argue about things, relate
experiences, share licks, mention business (even our own businesses),
etc.  These are all things good friends do.  They simply do these in
a congenial manner, understanding the difference between an issue
(verb) and a personal attack (noun).  And they each accept their
personal responsibility to keep it on a friendly level, because they
have respect for one another.  The result: when the dust clears,
they're still friends.

Regarding "business", it's one thing to mention you have a business;
it's another thing to use the list to solicit customers for profit.
In Amateur Radio, it's more than just rude - it's a violation of
federal law (ergo amateur radio operators tend to be more cognizant
than most about what constitutes business communications and what
doesn't.)  Where is the line drawn?  My personal opinion would be
when it can be easily shown that someone will personally derive
significant profit, then it's business.  If you mention <so-and-so>
sells/repairs harps cheap/good in a message, that's OK.  If YOU
sell/repair harmonicas cheap/good and use the list to solicit
customers for profit, it's not.

What about where you're playing?  Can the "profit" motive be shown?
Judging from the number of list subscribers that have shown up at my
gigs so far (none), I really don't think so.  We don't do that to
make money.  We do it to facilitate sharing our beloved instrument
with others having the same interests.  The fact that some of us are
professionals does not in and of itself establish a profit motive.

I mentioned above that the aforegoing is my opinion based on personal
experience.

 -- mike