Re: Beginner question: type of harp?

     So it takes you three weeks to blow a reed.  I use to blow out reeds
     in three gigs.  Ah well.  Anyway, to seriously respond to your
     question, I suggest a Hohner Special 20.  After using Marine Band,
     Golden Melody, Blues Harp and even a Lee Oskar, I found that the reeds
     on the Special 20 held up better for me and had a sound I liked.  Some
     people don't like the plastic body but I didn't find anything to
     object about.

     You're right about the Blues Harp having the thinnist reeds.  It's
     essentially pre-broken in so that bends are easier to hit.  Breaking
     is, btw, is pretty critical and properly done will extend the life of
     the harp.  Play a harp gently at first trying to finesse the bends
     rather than hitting them hard to force the reed down.  The reeds start
     to give after awhile and eventually it's easier to hit those deep
     bends.

     Good luck and keep on harpin'.

     Rusty Sterling