Re: Key Q's

> Hi,
> First post, hope it works. My question is I have just started
> to play (teach myself) and I am having some difficulty in picking
> the right song keys. I play in cross-harp and I have an A, Bb, and C
> harp. If any one knows what key some songs are in it would be a big
> help. Let's see... how about "Mustang Sally", "Sugar Mountain" (neil
> young), any Marshall Tucker songs, Doobie Brothers "Long Train Running,
> China Grove" or any of your favorites for that matter. I seem to be
> able to pick up pretty good once I have the right key. Thanx for your
> help.

I think that for those of us beginners out there this is probably
the most needed resource for learning the Harp. I have quite a
collection of CDs and tapes and love it when I find the right key to
play in. This allows me to go with the music, feel it, and feel good
about the sounds I make. (Most of them anyway.) The other advantage is
that you can practise and experiment with music you know and love
rather than reading off sheet music and trying to guess what is
working.

I feel that a list of songs, artists and keys would be useful to all
those amongst us who are new to this. I have often found that none of
my harps seem to fit a song and been frustrated in my attempts to
find the key. Many of my tapes have pencil marks on them indicating
the times I have found the key.

I guess I am asking for those experienced players amongst you to help
those newbies amongst us. I am happy to compile a list of the popular
blues standards and the keys they are played in. This could probably
be added to the Web page when completed. If you have any particular
favorites to play with and the Key/Position they are played in I
would love to hear from you. (Private email would be best.)

This would probably lower bandwidth on the list as well. :-)

Thanks all.

P.S. Overblow practise, while rewarding and fun does tend to drive
every living creature in a 50 meter radius away. Is this normal? :-)

Marcus Little                                    marcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 I could be arguing in my spare time.