Re: hering harmonicas

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Gautam Choudhury wrote:

> Does anybody use Hering harmonicas out there ? They are made in Brazil and are
> quite good ( made in an old Hohner factory, I'm told). Apparently they have
> made a new 'deluxe' 4-octave chromatic harmonica which is supposed to be quite
> good. Anybody tried that ?
>
> Gautam Choudhury

   I have a four-octave Hering that I like a great deal. Hering's quality
control has been spotty in the past but word now is that they seem to
have solved their problems. Mine was a good deal - about $65US compared
to about $100US for the equivalent Hohner. I hear some good things about
their three-octave harps, too.

    Now I have a related question: Are the three-octave new-design
Hohners (CX-10s, I think...the cool ones that came out a couple of years
ago) really worth the extra cash for blues use? Essentially, it's the
tone I'm interested in here. That cupped-front shape looks ideal for
close mic use. I also hear they're easier to bend. True?