improving

Let me join Jack in thanking Chris M. for posting his valuable reminder to
listen to others, other instruments, yourself, but especially what's inside.
In creative endeavors, variety is the spark and you are the match.  Inspire
yourself with the appreciation of diverse talents, but internalize what you
admire into sculpting your own style.

Said Chris:
> The harmonica is not what everybody thinks it is.  It's not just a musical
> instrument,  it's more of a medium in which to express yourself.

I agree the harmonica is a medium of expression, but I give that credit to
any musical instrument.  No musician I've ever known regards the instrument
(s)he plays as merely a tool, a means to an end, but more an extension of
their abilities, an expansion of their being.  Remembering that can help us
when listening to the music of others that we hope to adapt to our favored
style and instrument.  Also, the instruments playing a piece of music are
often chosen for the kind of expression, tone, range, etc., which they can
provide.  But, a comment that stuck in my mind from Friday night's Dateline
program [mentioned in a previous post] was Larry Adler remembering that
Gershwin once told him, referring to Rhapsody in Blue, [something like] it's
as if he wrote that song just for him [Adler] and his instrument.  But he
didn't.  And that's the point.  Even the composer is sometimes capable of
recognizing that his music can be expressed quite successfully when played
by an instrument he never intended for the piece.  And the reason is...

As Chris said:
> Music is language, a form of communication.  Big Walter,  Sonny Terry,
> Little Walter,  Howard Levy are just dialects.

Best lines in the message!  Perfect!

Till next,                                    *Hear The Harp You Love...*
....Bobbie                                    *But, Play The Harp In You*