Music Score programs

From: Douglas Tate <100576.3265@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I write a lot of music for the harmonica in the form of exercises and
small
pieces, rarely more than 5-6 pages long.  After years of pen writing the
stuff I
started to use various computer programs for all the obvious advantages.
Recently they have, of course been allied to MIDI so that you can hear
what you
write, and, if you have a midi instrument, play into the program.

The problem has been that these programs are extremely expensive, $500+ in
the
UK.  Another problem has been transfering the results into a DTP package
for
incorporation into worksheets with explanations. (OK you can put text on
the
page with the music in most packages, but I want more control) I have used
Finale, Cakewalk, Cubase at the high end and Composers pen at a lower
level.
None have been satisfactory.

Recently I have found an American prog called  'PERSONAL COMPOSER' which
answers
all of my needs (very nearly) at about $120. Its brilliant and the easiest
have come across.  The firm is Personal Composer inc. 3213 West Wheeler
St.
Suite 140,  SEATTLE, WA 98199.

Here are the queries.
1. Do any of you use progs for this task and if so which and how good do
you
find them.  (Getting a hernia from carrying the books for Finale is not
considered a plus point for example)