Re: W. Clarke's lyrics

<How do I figure out munged lyrics?>

Between mumbled lyrics, poor recordings, and lousy hearing, I have problems
with this, too.  I use the following methods:

1. Turn your hi-fi's bass and treble down - a lot of times that will bring
the desired lyrics more to the forefront.  An EQ (parametric is best, but
graphic helps) is often helpful.  Headphones may be helpful, too - try
different ones.  Sometimes cheapies are more intelligible in the voice
region than expensive ones.

2. Get someone with a better ear to listen.  Oftentimes my wife can easily
pick out something that's greek to me.

3. Check the liner notes - often, the lyrics are there (HOORAY!!)

4. Your local sheet music store will often be able to find the chart for
you, either as a single or as part of a compilation.

5. Make up your own lyrics.  If they make sense and rhyme, so much the
better :-)

6. Fake it - just copy the sounds of the original.  I used to do Shocking
Blues "VENUS", and never could figure out the first line of the second
verse.  I simply used what I heard, "Her wappa where'a crystal ice".  And
I've never once been questioned on it :-)

7. Ask - which is of course what you've just done on the list.  (Sorry I
can't help you - and no those ain't the lyrics :-)

I look forward to seeing other responses.

 -- mike