RE: Blues Chromatic

David Witzany writes...

>I'm finally breaking down and getting myself a chromatic.  I spoke with
>someone at Farrell's, and have a few questions.

>First, I know that Farrell's modifies Hohner chromatics, but they're still
>not taking orders for this.  I was planning on getting a 270, but really
>wanted a lighter spring in it.  I'm used to pulling the tacks out of
>Marine Band-type diatonics; is there much more involved in replacing a
>270's spring?  If not, where can I get a lighter spring?  (Farrell's,
>I suppose.)

Farrell was working on an adjustable spring for the 270 / 280 chromatics. He
showed me one a couple years ago and I was under the impression it was going to
be available soon. It was a modification where you adjust the spring tension by
turning a screw on the bottom of the harmonica - directly under the spring. I
didn't get a look at the guts. I was under the impression this could be
installed by someone with a little harp repair experience.

I'm surprised he hasn't announced this in his catalog by now.

>The alternative to buying a 270 and immediately operating on it is to go
>with an alternative harp.  It looks like the only real choices are a
>Hering or a CX-12.
8<---
>I'm small-handed, and already have to work to get a good
>grip on a JT-30 mic and a diatonic harp.  Are all of these harps the same
>size, or is one noticably smaller?

The Hering-12 and the Hohner-270 are about the same size.
The CX-12 is a little fatter.

>Lastly, just from the practicality of it, it looks like the CX-12 is the
>best harp off-the-shelf.  It has screws instead of tacks, and a lighter
>spring than the 270.  If I can't fix it myself, I don't have to send...
8<---

The Herings also have screws.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx