Re: Eric Clapton

Read with interest the recent discussion about Eric Clapton's comments
regarding Little Walter. IMHO I believe he held those blues players including
harp players in very high regard and it is rare that a guitarist will even
give mention that a harp player influenced his thinking/playing. His recent
blues tour with Jerry Portnoy in his band and latest CD would appear to
indicate his continued respect for the harmonica.

In the July 1995 special 200th issue of Musician
magazine Clapton is quoted to say:

As far as Little Walter, EC is quoted as saying;

"I always wanted something other than the guitar (to play). I hate the sound
of just a straight guitar. I don't mind it in other people's playing, but when
I pick up a guitar and it sounds like a guitar, to me that's boring."

"I think, first of all, I wanted to sound like Little Walter. I wanted to play
the guitar and make it sound like a harmonica. And then, I wanted it to sound
like, for a long time like Jr. Walker.  I think if you get a guitar to play
like his saxophone, you were off and running somewhere else."

(Isn't imitation one of the highest forms of flattery-my editorial comment.)

"Most players think they can play a 12 bar blues. But every 12-bar blues is
different. Sonny Boy Williamson would have an into on certain songs, and if
you didn't know that, then he would be disgusted with you. And I know this
from experience, because he was disgusted with me."

(Yes, even rock demi-gods had to learn and make mistakes-again my editorial.)

These quotes were from a 1986 interview by J.D. Considine, issue # 97 of
Musician

cwilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Charlie Williams, Clarksville, Maryland, USA - near Baltimore)
alias Choo Choo Charlie - Disclaimer "all opinions are my own".