Re: Grapefruit Juice Can

>re:  fruit juice can & harp..
>
>   I once did a picnic for the Pony Express Riders of
>Indiana (Jeez...no...I wasn't personal friends with Mrs.
>Lincoln, but...)  Anyway...there was an old guy there
>(white by God) who was crusty...mighty crusty.  He hung
>around the stage for our whole act.  I couldn't figure out
>what he wanted (I mean I know I'm excruciatingly
>attractive, but he had to be at least 70!)...
>
>  Turns out, after we got off stage, he climbed up with
>another really gnarly character with a fiddle.  The fiddler
>pulled out his axe and went to sawin'.  The other guy,
>threw a suitcase on stage and opened it up.  Inside were
>about three really big tin cans.  At the end of each one, a
>harmonica was somehow secured (solder?), and at the closed
>end of the can, a hole drilled.  Through it, the old guy
>plugged in a microphone.  It was one of the wierdest rigs
>I'd seen.  He turned on the power, and MAN...what a
>sound...powerful and big-time wailing.  Looked like he was
>trying to swallow a whole can of tomatoes, but what a
>sound.
>
>  That just tickled me...he didn't care what it looked
>like...he just thought (as he said later) it "sounded kinda
>nice."
>
>Cathi

Cathi,

Absolutely great story.  Thanks for sharing it.

In reference to cans, in the interview with Junior Wells in either Blues
Review or Living Blues (DK which) when he was on the cover, he talks about
playing into a glass to get the sound to bounce back to you so you can hear
it better.  I've tried it, deceivingly simple, but it's like having a mic
and amp (well similar) in how you can hear the harp.

And not to get to far into the weird, bud didn't Sonny Boy (II) play
multiple harps by playing through his nose??  (What about that harp cleaning
thread?)  No wonder Vodka is mentioned as a harp cleaner!!

Gary "Indiana" Warren

What did I do to pi** you off this time baaaabyyyyyyy?....Willie Mabon

James "Superharp" Cotton
Jake and Elwood