Re: high-end diatonic blues

>A friend of mine gave me a homemade compilation of early harp blues from
>the 20s & 30s.  Unfortunately no list of players or song titles.  What
>was interesting to me was that 90% was being played very soprano -
>up at the high end of the harp.  Some amazing trills & bird-sounds
>often thrown in.  This is high-end old-timey stuff you don't hear in
>your average contemporary r& b playing today.  Annie Raines I
>heard playing some on the G Keillor show.
>   Any words to the wise on this from you wise dilated harpolaters
>out there?  I haven't even tried playing like this yet (though I do
>the occasional high-end bend).  Is this old style mostly straight
>or cross- harp?  Has this thread been worn thin and unraveled
>already?   --Henry Gould

IMHO, the best you can find of the old guys on the high end of the harp is
Jimmy Reed.  Live from Carnegie Hall is a good CD, chock full o good stuff.
(Even though it really wasn't from the live performance.)

Isn't this 4th & 5th position???

Gary "Indiana" Warren

What did I do to pi** you off this time baaaabyyyyyyy?....Willie Mabon

James "Superharp" Cotton
Jake and Elwood