Re: Acoustic mic techniques

>What I'm looking for is different techniques when playing a *clean* harp with
>a mic, such as how to hold the harp, how far to play from the mic, etc.  I am
>able to play with a decent _wah_ technique acoustically, but when I try to
>use a mike, I am unable to pick up this sound effectively.  I am trying to
>reproduce that SBWII sound.
>
>. . . For my practice setup, I have my SM58 on a stand . . .
>
>Red

Phil Wiggens does something I hadn't seen before.  His "closed" position is
with a complete, or nearly complete, hand-cup of the harp, with the vocal mic
pointed directly toward the place where he will open the cup.  When he does
open it, he leans forward so the mic goes right into the cup up near the harp.
As you can imagine, it's a very physical way of playing harp -- lots of body
English.  He did it sitting down, and leans forward a bit even before he opens
the cup.  Phil doesn't really get a SBWII sound, but the technique was very
effective due to the huge volume range he got that way.  He sang one song, and
nobody changed the mic setting when he did.

	-John Thaden