Chromatic beginner

Tom

I know you requested a private answer to various points about learning
chromatic, who to listen to, scales and exercises for blues, sounds for classics
etc.  The problem is that there is an awful lot to reply to.

 I think that this is a general point and this reply is NOT getting at you!.

As a ~beginner~ (happy birthday) you naturally want to know a lot more about
what you are trying to do i.e. make music.   The problem is that what you will
get is a lot of very good advice from the many excellent players on the list.
However, because their time is limited they may only be able to answer one
aspect of your questions.  Because of this you could possibly build up a picture
of what to do where very good advice from different types of playing ends up
being conflicting.  For example, I could give advice on scales without reference
to the fact that it is classical advice and be totally at conflict with those
who would give equally valid advice on 'non-classic' scales.  Same with sounds.
I produce a noise I like in my particular idiom.  You try going on stage and
playing blues with that sound and you would be charged with mas manslaughter as
the audience died from hysterical laughter.

There has been quite a lot about surfing the archives recently for what are
virtuall FAQs.  I think that this has two advantages.  You can find specific
information (if your phone bill can stand it) and you can build up a picture of
~ who~  might be the right person to ask a particular brand of question.

Finally.  Even if you do get (and you will) full and helpful advice, it can only
be a tiny indication of what you ought to do.

If after this, and I refer you back to the second paragraph, I can be of any
help, please give me a call

Douglas T