Re: Tommy Morgan

At 10:41 PM 6/7/95 Christian N Michalek <micha018@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
fellow mega-mall-morgan-maniac, revealed:

>Well,  Harv and I had the opportunity to hear Tommy Morgan live.

Sorry I've been in and out a bit.  A couple of extra trivia tidbits. Tom
Boyd's wife published the CD on local indie label Forthcoming Productions
in association with their church, Shepard of the Valley Lutheran in
Rosemount, MN..  They moved to the Twin Cities from Hollywood about 3 years
ago, but he still commutes back to do occasional film soundtracks, of which
he has done over 400  -- including Dances with Wolves (one of them did
Forrest Gump, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know). He sometimes
sits in with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra as an extra, which is now being
led by jazz singer, Bobby McFerrin of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" fame (novelty
single, this guy does some other pretty impressive over dubbed, a cappella
work).

Back to Tommy Morgan.  I think he said that he himself has been in over 500
movie and/or TV soundtracks. The liner notes said that he is the most heard
harmonica player today. He also has been a church choir director for over
20 years, which plays a big role in this CD (I haven't had a chance to
listen to it yet). Their little mall concert was just Tommy, Tom and a
piano player (apologies, I did not write her name down, so it escapes me).
The sound wasn't great, but once they figured out how to mix Mr. Morgan
correctly, it was quite a treat. One hour show, mostly straight through the
CD.  Straight up arrangements, but I recall one blues-ed up number. If
anybody's really interested in the CD, I'll give it a listen this week-end
and comment directly.

They had a couple of other church dates this week in town and I did not
hear if they had any other stops planned. I presume that more will be
coming from this pair (Morgan and Boyd Publishing).

BTW, in case you don't know it, Chris is about to marry one very lovely Ms.
Laurie Bauer shortly, who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time
during this small outing.  She's also a woodwind and piano player.
Congratulations and best of luck from myself and the rest of the list,
Chris (my intent with this public announcement was not to clog the list
with many more congratulations notes, but please feel free to fill his
email in-box. Thanks).

Harv <HAAndruss@xxxxxxx>