Re: Doc Watson

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Ailes, Phil wrote:

> I'm interested in the Harp styles of Doc Watson and/or  Jimmy Fadden (Nitty
> Gritty Dirt Band). I like folk, old time and bluegrass music and would
> appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,  Phil Ailes

Phil,

	I am also a bluegrass/folkie and would reccomend Mel Bay's "You
Can Teach Yourself Harmonica" by George-Heaps Nelson and Barbara Koehler.
This book (and recording) were previously marketed under a name something
like "Folk and Blues Harmonica".  There is a good section on folk style
harp.  It doesn't address Jimmie Fadden or Doc Watson specifically but
the style on the recording leans toward those styles (esp tongue block,
chord slapping etc).

	Also, listen to Peter "Madcat" Ruth.  He is incredible.  Check
out the album "Key to the Highway".  See also the other Madcat stuff
being discussed now on the list.

	And if you like festivals look into Telluride in Colorado and the Yellow
Pine Harmonica fest in Idaho.  I'll definitely be in Colorado and would
love to meet other harpers there.  I may also go to Idaho.

	Feel free to e-mail me through the list or personally if you wish.

George Gage
El Paso, TX