Shake, Rattle & Trill!

For Jen -

Yes, the trill is accomplished with a shake, head or otherwise, being an
alternation of two different notes.  A tongue-blocking technique can also
achieve this effect (wagging the tongue back and forth) and I would imagine
(since all I have in this respect IS my vivid imagination :)), that tongue-
blocking could also create a trill between notes which are not even adjacent
to one another.  (I gotta try that!)

The trill is distinquished from the vibrato because the latter is a pulsing
by varied air pressure of the same note, causing changes in emphasis of the
various harmonics and slight variations of the pitch of the note being sung
or played.  Vibratos can be generated by multiple means, and I'm sure you
know, they all have distinct qualities of their own.  A singer-harmonicist
can use their singing voice vibrato (from the glottis - and I firmly believe
this is "learnable" by developing certain muscular techniques involving the
voice box - while it comes easier to some, I obsessed when younger and in
choral groups to have one, and eventually, I did!)

But playing harp (or other wind instruments), with the emphasis on proper
air pressure, soon makes one aware of many other ways to have an vibrato;
blowing or sucking in "puffs", jaw movements, rhythmic diaphragm muscle
movements, semi-oral and semi-glottal stops (using muscles surrounding the
soft palate or larynx), tongue movements and the related bending vibratos.
Differing vibrato techniques might make an intriguing thread...no?  If not,
check the archives!  :) ;)  (Just jivin'...put away those matches!)

Hmmm...woops.  Off on a tangent again.  SOR---RY!!
Guess I'll stop here, since the TRILL is gone.......ouch!

TRILL next,
.....Bobbie                             *Just Couldn't ConTRILL Myself!!*