Re: More Key Help?

re:

>From: HarpPro@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: More Key Help?

>I thought I'd ask one.
>CD - Paul Butterfields Betterdays
>song - Highway 28
>anybody have an idea on the key.

>thanks,
>P.A.D.

////////////////

If this tune is a little tricky to figure out at first, don't
feel bad -- it goes through three successive keys in its
repeating eight-bar figure.

The first two bars are in C, the second two are in D, and the
final four are in G.  Using a C harp throughout, Butterfield is
therefore nominally playing the first two bars in first position,
the second two in third, and the back half in second/cross.

However, for some reason, he chooses to work a third-position
kind of modality into all three sections, which IMHO doesn't
always work real well, especially going into the rideout.  Butter
was usually great at finding inventive opportunities for third
position (check out "One More Heartache" or parts of "East
West"), but I think this track takes a good thing a little over
the top.

I noticed that the song was written by latter-day Butterfield
Band bass player Rod Hicks (Billy Rich is playing bass in the
Better Days band), and I suspect the C/D/G/G figure might have
been custom-crafted to specifically provide a vehicle for some
first, second, and third-position harp-playing in the same tune.

Anyway, one harp is all it takes -- grab a C and give the tune
your own treatment. :)  B*