Re: Lead Guitar Players (Again).

re:

>While I usually play both guitar and harmonica when doing jam sessions, I
>occasionally sit in with only harp.  The first thing I do is "test the
>mic" by blowing the coolest, fastest, and cleanest lick I can.  I've never
>failed to back off even the biggest demigods by doing this.  My favorite
>is starting on the high note, doing a minor 7th run down all the way down
>to the low note, then starting a chromatic run up the scale in second
>position up to the blow 9, then back down to draw 2 with a big, fat
>throat vibrato finish - and doing this in about 2 or 3 seconds.  But as
>long as ou establish your "turf" _before_ the jamming starts, you'll be
>fine.

////////////////

I'd have to agree with that.  I'm always pretty careful about
immediately creating and leaving the right image of harp players
in the minds of other musicians I sit in with, too.

Like if I want to jam with some band I've never met before, I
never interrupt in the middle of a set.  Rather, I'll take the
stage quietly with everyone else after a break, pull out a harp, a
pint of Jack Daniels', and a Smith & Wesson nickel-plated
snub-nose .38 from of the pocket of my camel hair topcoat, stick
the piece in my belt, grab the guitar player's vocal mike, take a
hit off the JD, and call "Blues With A Feeling" in A.

Worked for Little Walter, and goshdarn it, that's good enough for
me.  B<mean.old.world>*