Re: Lead Guitar Players (Again).

I've always had more problems with drummers than guitar players. Too many
of 'em have shown some validity in the old saying that "there are musicians
and then there are drummers".

And there are lots of people out there who own harps and give harp players
a bad rep. You know, the clown that found a harp in a sewer drain(which
instantly made him a musician) and wants to sit in with the band. Every
"real" musician has come across this particular creature. Every time I'm in
a new jam situation, I have to re-prove myself. "Oh, you play harp? My
sister's kid's got a kazoo." And words don't cut it - the harmonica MUST do
the talkin'.  It used to bug me but it's an old boring story so I just take
it in stride and let the harp speak.

Plus, too many harp players don't know when to shut up. They play through
_every_ other instrument's solo and they solo through the vocals. And they
do it on every song. So this also gives harp players a bad reputation.

The reality is that I'm as much to blame for having a bias against drummers
as other musicians are for being biased against harp players. All musicians
deserve a chance to let their instrument speak for them. I've been
surprised too many times, especially here in Music City USA. And I'm not
talking about country muscians. Unless you're sccopin' the loop on the
tourist side of town, country music is hard to find in this town. The
locals hate it(unless that's how they make their living).

Rkt