Re: Mic Mods

> What's the cotton for?

It acts as a windscreen.  Also slightly muffles the sound (but not much.)

> I haven't had a problem with my chord since I
> switched itr over to a 1/4" jack.  #3 years and counting now.

I carry different mics - a Bullet, and a JT-30.  If one dies, I always
have a replacement.

the one I'm REALLY concerned about, though, is my rack pickup.  I use an
RCA jack on it.  Not a lot can go wrong with RCA's.  they're also less
prone to noise, etc.

I also run cordless most of the time.  You can't trip over wireless ;-)

> the other
> thing that's nice about this is that if it does die onstage mid gig you
> can probably find a replacement cord nearby.

Good point.  I always carry spare cords.  Can't say the same about other
musicians.  Last weekend, when I was playing (single) at Rockfield, the
band next door came over to borrow 1. an XLR mic cord, 2. guitar picks,
3. a PA head, and 4. a guitar cord.  Sheesh!

> A volume control might be
> nice, though using proximity to control volume seems to work just fine.

I find I get the best sound by keeping my harp as close as possible to
the mic (leaving a small air space, of course - the sound gets sloppy
when the harp touches the mic), and using the volume control to vary
volume and distortion.  However, I oftentimes use mic-harp spacing for
effects - and of course, you can vary your hands for some usable hand-wah
effects.

If you don't want (or can't out) a mic mounted volume, try a volume
pedal.  you can do some nifty things with that.

> thge other thing I do is play with my thumb over the element a lot of the
> time.  Acts just like a mute and if you move your thumb around or remove
> it entirely for solos the range of sound you get is very much akin to a
> volume control.  fjm

I'll have to play with that next time I'm playing in a band setting (or
by myself with just bass pedals :-)

Does anyone else have any nifty mic-tricks?

 --  mike curtis