Re: Mic Mods

On 15 Jan 1995, Tom Ellis III wrote:

> Many thanks to Barry Schaede for his nice comments on our little mic business
> here.  We do mod old, and only old, JT-30 shells, adding pots, mixing elements,
> different paint jobs, etc.  We firmly believe that older shells have sonic
> qualities that aren't matched by the~I! newer, thin walled shells.

 A couple of things I'm curious about:

 First, do you guys modify Shure Green Bullets? I've never understood why
someone doesn't offer a modded one of these, with a volume control and
XLR or phone jack. Many regular Green Bullet guys have done this work for
themselves.
 Secondly, I can't see how the thickness of the shells makes one iota of
difference. The mic element in the Astatics is mounted into the grill
with a rubber gasket, and the element is directional. For the shell to
make a difference, the sound waves would somehow have to leak through the
gasket, bounce off the inside of the shell, leak through the gasket again,
make a Magic U-Turn and head back into the element. In other words, these
sound waves would have to be more determined than salmon heading for the
spawning grounds (grin).
 My pet theory (it's as good as anyone else's) is that the old mics sound
the way they do because of the aging of the element, and because of the
use of thicker wire from the mic leads to the connector. But who knows? I
also suspect they sound better because people have decided they must
sound better (more grinning). Oh, well...