pucker, block or ..., etc

jesmith%nhqvax.dnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> It is interesting to me that, unless shown otherwize, this
> (tongue-pucker) is natural for many of us. I did learn later
> that this method has its limitation (as well as benefits)
> and is no substitution for blocking or puckering. You NEED all
> three in your toolbox. Method 3, for instance, will not allow
> one to articulate, because your tongue is busy doing somethig
> else. Method 3 cannot achieve a blocking sound or the speed
> between certain notes while blocking.

Yeah, there are some serious limitations to this method as you
describe. I find it is real useful for leads, but mainly do the
pucker for rythem. Gotta be able to make those train noises! I
have learned how to do the 3rd method and still use the rest of
my tongue for articulation, but it's not nearly as versatile as
having the entire tongue available. Kind of like talking with
a clothespin on your tongue.

> I'd like to toss one back at you. I also use this method as a
> third alternative to blow bending. It has the same pros and
> cons on the upper register for me. What is your experience?

I've fractured many a reed doing this! But it sounds good til then.

Jeffrey J Daniels writes:

> The Drop-outs are actually from san antonio, though they play
> austin quite a bit.

Someone actually told me this at the show, but I forgot.

> <<Kim Wilson, croud attrition...>>

It was actually nice when the croud started to thin a little.
Still plenty of people til the end, but what's this? The bar
was closed with 30 minutes of music to go!

- Harpster