Re: Straight harp albums

> Hello, folks!
> 	I play both straight and cross harp, but am much more
> proficient in the former.  Can you recommend some good albums/
> CDs featuring lots of straight harp?

The first that comes to mind is Jimmy Reed.  Very simple, yet effective.
Also, Charlie Musselwhite uses many positions, including first, quite
effectively.

I use a lot of different positions (mostly 1st thru 6th, and 12th) on
diatonic, but I use windsavers (I much prefer the mellow sound of bends
over the to my ear unnatural sound of overblows), and can get all 39
notes (you can bend the low note down a couple of semitones) on the
diatonic.  This enables me to make much more effective use of the lower
octave, especially for first position.  I like being able to bend the
third down to a minor, etc.

It takes a bit of practice to master a valved harp, because the notes are
not "controlled" by the other reed and can bend wildly.  However, having
three plus chromatic octaves (and no hands, Mom! - I play guitar at the
same time) is well worth the effort.  (I play a lot of jazz, and NEED
chromatic.)

BTW, if any of you are in the Southern CA area, I do a single every
Tuesday at Perqs, 117 Main St, Huntington Beach, and every Friday and
Saturday (7 pm) at Rockfield Tavern, 23600 Rockfield Blvd, Lake Forest
(near Irvine.) Both places are loud blues-rock clubs featuring some pretty
impressive blues bands, i.e.  Walter Trout, Eric Sardinas, etc.  I play
harp thru a special pickup into a delay pedal, octave divider, and Fender
Champ - I LOVE a dirty sound; guitar, MIDI bass pedals - like a console
organ - and use a drum machine.  I have a sequencer, but rarely use it.
Too hard remembering where it is - and it won't follow me :-(  these are
blues places, but I get away with all kinds of music - Take 5, Miles
Davis tunes, and even the Theme from Moulin Rouge (which I kind of blues
up as a legato - and I do it either first or second position, depending
on my mood - with windsavers, bending the G's on a C harp down to F# is a
piec of cake :-)