Re: Misc. 64x, Pete

When I use the Dremel tool, I have a hard rubber bit for the tool.  I use
this rubber bit to buff an out of tune reed.  The buffing brightens up the
metal and I can either raise the pitch or lower the pitch by buffing the
metal.  This way, the metal is not scratched as with a file.

I don't know what Joe Filisko has to say about using the Dremmel tool or
buffing wheel.

I guess I should have made a better explanation of my problem with the noise
slide.  What really happens is that I hear a "Click" each time I push the
slide in.  I think part of the slide is hitting the plastic tubing that goes
over the screws in the mouthpiece.  The slide is either hitting the front
screw or back screw.  Even though I have changed the tubing on both screws,
the problem still exists.  I was thinking, if there was some kind of felt
tubing that could be slipped over the screw.  Maybe that would stop the
"clicking" noise of the slide.  The buffing of the slides will take off some
of the burrs that might appear on the edges of the slide.  Sometimes the
manufacture leaves the edges very rought on the slide, and this prevents the
slide from moving smoothly on the mouthpiece.  The slide then needs to be
buffed to smooth out the ridges on both sides of the slide piece or
mouthpiece.

Richard