Re: HARP-L Digest V94 #286

I find the moldy harmonicas question intriguing.  Not living in a wet
climate I regret that I will be unable to conduct any experiments.  I
don't think that the mold was necessarily a result of the wood comb.  I
think it might have grown
on the dried saliva and breath that collected on the comb.  Recent
articles in food industry publications have recently debunked the widely
held belief that plastic is a superior sanitary surface for cutting
boards and food preperation areas.  It seems that if you contaminate a
cutting board with e-coli bacteria then test for the presence of the
bacteria 5 minutes later the plastic cutting board will have a very high
level of contamination and the wood will have an extremely low level of
residual bacteria.  Now I realize that mold and bacteria are entirely
different organisms, but I wonder if plastic combed harmonicas might be
induced to grow mold if left in damp or humid conditions for a period of
time.  Again I'm intrigued and am not even advancing this as theory.  FJM