Future of the Marine Band

Kim Field writes:

>I'm curious about how you set your embouchure when you play. Do you
>pucker? Tongue block? Both? Do you purse your lips, or do you sort of
>bite the harp? Whatever you're doing, I'd say that you're playing too
>hard in some fashion. I've heard a lot of beginners complain about the
>wooden dividers in the Marine Band swelling and irritating their lips and
>tongue, but this is the first time I've heard anybody mention bleeding
>because of the fronts of the reed plates. I think you need to lighten
>up.

Christian's not the only one with this problem. It may be a technique issue
as I've just got a few month's in on harp--but I can't play any of the
Hohners with protruding plates without pain at the corners of my mouth. I
like the Golden Melody and the Marine Band alot (and the SBS!), but every
time I play for more than a few minutes I notice it. I usually develop
redness at the corners of my mouth but don't carry it on to the point of
bleeding. The Special 20 is the only Hohner harp I can play comfortably.
This happens, for me, only while tongue-blocking. I usually have the harp
well into my mouth for this technique and the plates rub the corners of my
mouth. I certainly would like to be able to play these harps and will try to
revise my technique from time to time.

Marc