Re: ----- I suck, I tell you, I suck. ------

At 5:13 AM 2/28/95, Mike Curtis wrote:
>Assuming you want a fat "Cross harp bluesy" sound, here are a few tricks
>I use for jamming on an unknown PA:
>
>1. Ask them to turn the treble completely off your mic.  Also, make sure
>   it has plenty of bass.

Hmmmm .... although I like the rest of your tricks, this one is somewhat
suspect.  A better approach with an unkown PA is to set all available EQ on
your channel as flat as possible, i.e. at 5 for most rotary controls, then
take it from there.

Doing the "roll off the treble and boost the bass" thing will probably kill
feedback, but results in a very dead and/or boomy sounding tone.

I long since gave up trying to use house PA's and simply make sure I have
my amp with me if I'm likely to be playing.  If the band doesn't want me to
set up my amp, I don't play.  Playing and sounding like crap is worse than
not playing - for you, for the band and, most importantly, for the
audience.

> -- mike

   -- hugh

--
| Hugh  - Vice President and System Manager  -   Net Results, Inc. |
| Messenger  -  Senior Systems Admin  -  Southern Network Services |