Re: Carey Bell Show

  Let me clarify that I don't think it's wrong at all to be ASKED up to
play.  That is a great feeling and something you definitely could see
propelling a harp player into starting his own band.  I for one NEVER
leave the house without at least one harp in my pocket in case a cherry
opportunity to play comes up.  I had a harp at the Carey Bell show too!!

  Now consider these two scenario's and tell me if this is something that
could make people think harp players are not serious musicians:

1) During the show itself the amateur standing next to you insists on
playing the harp through the performance.  You paid X amount of dollars to
hear off-key repetitive harp playing drowning out the harp god on stage
that only blows through town once a year.  This amateur blows as hard as
he can to make sure the circle of people around him gets to hear.

2)  During a blues show with a band that does not have a harp player, the
amateur walks up to the bandleader/guitarist DURING a song and starts to
shove the harp into his face, OR gets up onto the stage to try to
convince the bass player to let him in on a tune.  Repeat often, until
band is very distracted.

  I saw this scenario once and they finally did let the harp player up.
He blew out some weak notes.  The leader/guitarist starts laughing (he
was from Chicago) went behind stage and dug out an old harp from his bag
and then proceeded to blow the amateur away for 2 measures.

  Now, occassionally players have been discovered by having their playing
overheard.  More often, people who know them and the band will encourage
the band to let the harp player up.  But does this justify cheapening an
entire profession for your "big shot."  How about putting in some hard
work in keeping a band together, to get a legitimate shot?

--Norbert