RE: Green mould.

Alex Burr writes...

>I'm sorry if this is a frequent question, but is there anything that can
>be done with mould in a harp? I am a complete novice at this. The harp is
>a Hohner Chromatic C type. The wood in the 6th and seventh holes has
>superficial mould, but there does not seem to be any way toremove the
>plates to get at the wood and scratch it off. Can anyone tell me what I
>have to do? Can I treat it in some way, or failing that, replace the wood?
>It seems a shame to have to throw it away, as I've only had it two months.
>I have searched the gopher for 'mould', with no luck, so I though that
>I could ask here. Can anyone help?

Hi Alex,

First off I don't think you need to apologize for asking a question on HARP-L.
There are many out there who are happy to try and help - no matter how minor
the question may seem.

If you are a novice be very careful - you could easily ruin an expensive
harmonica. I assume from your description you have a 10 or 12
hole chromatic (Hohner 270 or such).

I notice from your address you are in the UK. You might contact Norman Ives and
ask if he has any repair books available. Don't have his address handy.

Get your harmonica repair feet wet on a cheaper instrument. It would even pay
to buy a new wood comb diatonic to learn on.

Part of the danger to repairing a harp of this construction is that the dang
thing is nailed together. Once you get the cover plates off (held with two nuts
and bolts) you will be faced with reed plates which are nailed to the wooden
comb. It is a delicate operation to get these apart without doing damage - and
then you're faced with getting it back together.

It ~may~ be possible to get most of this Green Mold out without removing the
reed plates. This would require removing the slide assembly and cover plates.
Then very carefully cleaning each chamber. Remember there are reeds and
windsavers (those plastic valves) in there which are easily damaged. The slide
assembly is a little tricky to get back together.

There are some good repairmen around plus the factory repair service but none
of them like to be a 'laundry service' for harmonicas.

If I haven't scared you off by now - let me know and I will try to help
further. If I go on here this could get quite lengthy.

Some notes on prevention:

a) After you play your harmonica - Tap it against your hand ~with slide in and
slide out~ to get rid of excess moisture. Then let it sit in the open air (keep
it out of the box for a while - even overnight) so it can dry out. Moisture and
warmth is probably the cause or at least contributes to the Green Mold.

b) Play with a clean mouth - Brush, Floss, Rinse before you play. You don't
want to blow bear, soda pop or pizza into your harmonica.

c) Play with a dry mouth - What does that mean - if I salivate, I salivate.
Well, it's kind of hard to explain but you can develop a technique to eliminate
or at least minimize the amount of moisture that goes into your harmonica. Part
of this might simply be your posture and/or the angle at which your harp is in
your mouth. Be aware of the fact that spit (yech!) is being blown into your
harp.

d) Don't ~ever~ soak your chromatic harmonica.

Hope this has been some help to you.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx