Carey Bell Show

>>> Norbert Brunhuber  2/24/95, 09:53am >>>

>Last night I caught 2 out of the three sets of the Carey Bell
>performance.

>During a slow Mississippi style number, he went out into the crowd
>and let a bunch of the harp-player wannabees play.

>I thought it was big of Carey to let other people play during his
>show.

Did you tell him this?

>I guess at his age and experience he is confident enough in his
>skill (and ego!).  This brings up a point though about harp players
>-- when are we as a group going to pay some respect for ourselves?

Or better yet, when are we going to stop taking ourselves so
seriously?  Don't you think the wannabees would be much more excited
about playing the harmonica after an exposure like this?  Isn't that
what the HARP world wants - more mass appeal?  This is certainly an
enhancement.

>Do we see drummers or bass players dragging their instruments into a
>show and playing along, or demanding to play with the band?

Just how 'demanding' to play were those in the audience?  Most likely
they were 'hopeful'.

>I always wonder why if these gunslingers were so great, why don't
>they get their own band??  Because our instrument is so portable, we
>have to display some self-discipline.

A good question to pose to the HARP-L brethren, since it includes
many harpslingers.

>I come to a show to hear other performers.  I get my act together
>when I want to play.  No mixing.

Did you tell Carey Bell this?

Chill out, now who wouldn't be genuinely excited at the opportunity
to jam w/ someone of his stature?  Would be hard to pass up such a
chance. What purist wouldn't appreciate this gesture from a seasoned
professional?