Re: Kendrick amplifier

>exception of Paul Orta an Austin area player who's playing is pretty
>good.  Hey Tim why don't you try it out?  You're the one that loves
12's"
>so much.  Just sell your car to pay for it.  Maybe they'll send you a
>review copy.  Hey Jeff tell your engineer buddies that you know of a
>national harmonica publication that would be willing to accept a
Kendrick
>amp for review in a national harmonica forum.  FJM
I agree totally with what Barry has said.  I called Kendrick to find
out how much a 2x10" cabinet would be.  They wanted over $500 for the
bloody thing if I remember.  It was as much as I would pay for a PA
cabinet!  Way high priced, but very good quality.  Excellent reverb
units too.
I also should comment on the 12" speaker debate.  I always hated 12s
for harp, but I just picked up another old Silvertone amp.  This one I
got for $45 from a pawn shop and it is killer.  I was somewhat dismayed
to find that it has a single 12".  This totally invalidates my theory
on 12" speakers.  I never liked them before, but this amp has such a
fat beefy tone.  It is the finest sounding rig in my arsenal.  I think
the model on it is 1432.  I'll check at home tonight.  This amp was
totally stock right down to the original tubes that say Silvertone on
them.
I also had an idea for a combo rig that might have the tone of the
Bassman at a lower volume level.  I had an old Tremolux head that was
molested by some idiot with Naugahyde.  They tore the original tolex
off and made a mess of the head cabinet.  There was no speaker cab with
it.  I have been having trouble finding an original Fender 2x10"
speaker, so I called this guy, Gregg Hopkins.  He has a business called
Vintage Amp Restoration in St. Lois.  He will build a combo cabinet
that will fit the Tremolux chassis or any other chassis that you want
to put in it and cover it however you want.  So I when this is all
done, I will have a combo rig with a  2x10" configuration.  It's going
to be the 1964 creamy brown tolex with brown grill cloth, supposedly
the only year that a blackface amp had that color combination.  It was
very rare.  It will be my own creation and will not be vintage, but I
paid $50 bucks for a tremendous sounding, horribly uglified Fender
Tremolux and I will get the cabinet for $300 and for another $120 I can
get some good vintage re-issue speakers in it.  I walk away spending
less than $500 for a re-issue looking, electronically old, but great
sounding amp.  I will update the masses when it is finally here.  My
one regret - I now have this fantastic sounding Silvertone and I
probably won't want to stop using it out and the new creation will be
the closet queen.  You can never have too many amps!

Bernie Clarke
"Don't start me to talkin'.  I'll tell everything I know." - SBWII

PS - I have another Tremolux head too, so if anybody has a 2x10" Fender
cabinet to sell, you know where to find me.