Re: Kendrick amplifier

> Some sound engineers I've worked with recently asked me to tell ya'all
>Harp-l'ers about an amp designed especially for the harmonica, the Kendrick
>Texas Crude Classic Harmonica Amplifier.  These engineers have recognized
>some of the special needs of harp players, which are different qualities
>than guitar players want.

  ...And before you buy one, don't forget to sell your house!

  This brings up an interesting point: "Boutique" amp makers (and Kendrick
makes wonderful amps, BTW) always say they charge so much because of the
labor expense of making "hand-wired" amps. My question: Why is there so much
more labor expense? Heck, you have to solder all the components in place on
a PC-board amp as well, so the difference should just be a few bus wires.
(Of course, I understand that there's also economies of scale to consider,
but a Kendrick Bassman-style amp costs three times as much as the Fender
reissue at a discount).
  Some of this appears to be changing. Dr. Z amps and a new guy in Chicago
both are starting to sell tube combos in the $1,000 range.