Re: alzheimers

On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Mike Curtis wrote:

> > 	I'd tell you a joke about Alzheimer's disease....
> > But I've forgotten it. :-)
>
> Actually, Alzheimers is a very sensitive issue for many.

	[...]

>I'm certain that many with close relatives, friends, etc., with Alzheimers
>would probably be greatly offended by its trivialization.

	Well, it was only a matter of time before someone came up with
this old chestnut. I was expectiong it. (And I'm not upset because mine
was the one that was singled out. It's quite flattering in a way,
publish and be dammed is my motto).:-)

Did you happen to read the letter in a recent radio times complining
about Jasper Carrott making jokes about it?

Well whatever, a brief study of humor will demonstrate that MOST of it
is cruel, (laughing at other folks misfortune etc.)

We as a race (humans) make jokes about heart attacks, and funerals and
road kills, plane smashes an all the other gory things in life (or
death). War pilots made jokes about not coming back from missions,
Doctors and Nurses make sick jokes about all sorts of unfortunate
things.

Alzheimer's disease, happens to be fairly new in the public eye. Because
of this it's a "sensitive" subject.

Some of you may remember "Derek and Clive's" sick humor LP years ago.
It was over the top about cancer. (Personally I hated it).

I lost both inlaws and my father with heart problems. It has not stopped
me making light of a pain in my chest being a "thromby" coming on, I have
a better grip on my self than to think like that.

To make light of, or laugh at adversity and death, is a deep seated
process in the mind. It is a well documented way of coping with fear.
And hoping it will not happen to us. (Gargolys in churches and fierce
lion and dragon heads in China have the same funtion).

It's a shame that I felt I had explain this. I assumed most folk had
come to this state on knowledge by now.

Anyway, I for one HATE the concept of "political correctness."

There are those among us who would remove every word, description and
phrase that *MAY* possibly, somehow, sometime, somwhere offend *someone*.

And one thing is sure, you cannot possibly hope to achieve that end.
That kind of thinking is only a small step away from puritanism (oh yes
it is!)

So OK We had or fun with the new unspoken illenss (some of us) maybe we
can stop now?

BTH Mike, this is not the personal flame you may take it for. Sorry if
it comes over like that (to anyone). All I am trying to do in my little
way, is put all this into a sensible perspective.

Who knows, maybe one day the whole world will just be one happy family,
and tolerance and peace will be the order of the day.
(But sadly, I'll be long dead before it happens). [sigh]

Gordon (still lookin, for the golden, middle pathway in life) Jackson.

	  ****This computer works perfectly until accessed.****

  -----"Its no good talking to me, its just the same as talking to you."------
							Bob Dylan.