Crate amp update

Some of you may remember me going in to raptures about my new Crate
"Vintage Club" Series 2*12 combo amp.  I said I'd get back to y'all with an
update on how it was holding up to life on the road, so here I am ...

It has now had four months of hard work, and it just carries on getting
better.  Every gig it sounds just a little more like my old Vox AC30 (the
Crate has the exact same tube set) with the added advantage of a clean
channel when I need it.

As I had hoped, the *very* rugged construction is holding up to life on the
road extremely well.  Nothing has shaken loose, fallen off or otherwise
"settled in transit".  The cream colored Tolex has even stayed cream
colored.

It will go as loud as I need, without running anything over 5.  My guitar
player runs a Musicman 100 head through Fender 2*12 cab, and I can stomp
all over him if I need to!  Not that I ever do, but sometimes guitar
players get carried away, and it's nice to have the headroom to do the same
once in a while.

The onboard spring reverb is the best I've ever heard for harmonica.  I've
always found Fender and others to be waaaaay to 'lively', with a dial that
goes from off to full in about a nano-turn.  The Crate has a much subtler
sound, with a very well graduated control.

I worry about the open grill on top (right above the tubes and
electronics), so I tend to stand it on end to avoid even the possibility of
a beer related disaster.  For some reason I can hear the amp better like
that anyway, and it uses up less stage space (I have to find room for the
Hammond and rotating speaker as well).

Anyway - for my needs there simply isn't a better harp amp on the market
for the money (around $650) right now.  If you're in the process of amp
hunting, go and try one.

Usual disclaimer - I have nothing whatsoever to do with Crate, I just like
the amps.

   -- hugh